As well as making a music video, I will also make a magazine advertisement to promote the digipack. Before I started to design this, I looked at existing advertisements used in magazines to gain some inspiration and see what advertisements work well.
Madonna
I found this advertisements for Madonna's greatest hits album - Celebration which features all of her hits from her years in the music industry.
I like the comparison of using Madonna to Marylin Monroe, as this will catch people's eye, as Marylin Monroe was such an iconic figure. The image of her face is similar to the work of Andy Warhol who famously painted four of Marylin Monroe's faces, only changing the colour in each one. By using inspiration from his work, it draws people's attention to the advertisement as it is a well known piece of art. This also lets the audience know, that this album doesn't just feature Madonna's current hits, by using the old style picture, it shows that the album has some of her older music too.
The colours yellow, bright blue and pink are similar to the primary colours - yellow, blue and red, so by using these it is again a link to art. The whole image is very artistic, and looks as if it is sprayed onto a brick wall, which I think is different and much more interesting that a photograph. The whole look of the advertisement is very Pop Art.
Ellie Goulding
Another music advert I found was Ellie Goulding's album Lights. This is a striking advertisement as the bold picture of her face lit up against the black background makes it stand out. This is effective as the album is called 'Lights' and she is lit up in the dark by many little lights. These blend in with the texture of her hair, which makes her look almost magical.
By choosing to have the lettering white, it makes it very vivid and prominent against the background, which makes it easy for the audience to read so all the information is clearly visible.
I think it's a very simple advertisement. It has simple lettering, a simple picture with little editoral changes, and a plain layout, yet this all makes it very eye catching. It could also give out the impression that this CD doesn't need any dressing up to make it better than what it is, it just offers good music.
One thing that both of these magazines have in common is that they are close up camera shots of the artists face. This is very eyecatching, as they are both artists that are recognisable, so the audience will see these in a magazine, and if they know them, will recognise their face and want to find out about the page is advertising.


What do these advertisements have in common? Will you follow the conventions of these advertisements or depart from them?
ReplyDeletePlease give your posts labels eg. RESEARCH / PLANNING for ease of navigation.
ReplyDelete