Monday, 12 November 2012

Gypsy Woman Existing CD cover

As I will be designing a CD cover for my digipack, I've decided to look at already existing CD for ideas I can gain inspiration from, what looks effective and what I don't think will be right for my CD cover.
 
As the genre for my music video is 90's dance music, I thought the best place to begin was looking at CD covers with the same genre around the same era. Then I realised that the best CD to look at first was to the song I was using - Crystal Waters Gypsy Woman.
 
 
I think that this CD cover fits in well with the 90's as a big fashion statement in the 90's was tie dye, so the designer has used a similar effect for the background. The lettering is also very flowy and in irregular shapes which looks almost hippy-like, which is linked to the tie dye theme.
 
The colours chosen are good, as the white stands out well against the blue/green background, and I like the sudden use of yellow for the song title and even the bright pink. One thing I am not so keen on is the extended song title (she's Homeless) which is in brackets, as I think it looks like it was added on last minute as it is in a different font and Italics.
 
The overall look of the cover reminds me of being under the sea because of the pattern of blues and greens and the shape of the title, which is clever as it fits in with her name of Crystal 'Waters' and has that 90's feel. However, I dont think this is right for my CD cover, as I was planning to shoot my video in an old grainy effect or even black and white, so it would be unusual to have a brightly coloured CD case.
 

3 comments:

  1. Could you comment more on the look and feel you are planning for your own design and how you plan to achieve it? Will it be picture-led, a photograph of 'talent' or mostly text, an abstract image...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you also consider the design and purpose of the digipak? How many sides will you need to design and what is the function of each one? How effective do you think the digipak is as a marketing tool these days with the advent of I-tunes and digital music?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please analyse different examples of digipaks to compare and contrast the conventions used.

    ReplyDelete