Saturday, 6 April 2013

How my Magazine Advert relates to existing Magazine Adverts?

During the Research and Planning stage, I looked into existing magazine advertisements for inspiration for my advert. This experience helped me as I could analyse these adverts and notice any conventions that appeared on most of them. I could then use these conventions in a similar way, so my advert looks like existing professional work.

On all magazine adverts I notice that there is one picture, usually of the artist/band or album cover that takes up most of the page. This makes the advert very eye catching. When looking through a magazine, it is very common that most pages are filled up with text, however when you see a page with just one big colourful picture, it would draw your attention to it.

The artists are already very well known and recognised, so audiences will see the advert, instantly recognise the face and then would want to see what the advert is selling. This links to Andrew Goodwin's theory of creating a Star Persona. The more they are seen, the more well known they become, meaning the more fans they gain, therefore more people listening to their music. The musicians face is what sells the product.

I decided to use the same approach and used a full body shot of my performer. When audiences see her picture, they would want to know why. If she has a large fan base, they would read the advert and then hopefully be interested in buying her digipack and watching her music video. By using a full body shot, i hope this will appeal to my target audience of young female girls, as my performer is a ideal idol that they can look up to. They will see this image and want to be just like her. This shot would also appeals to males, reinforcing Laura Mulvey's idea of the Male Gaze. This shot is how males would like to see her, as it shows off the whole of the female body in a pose that's full of attitude, so when looking through the magazine, this image should hopefully too appeal to males.

Another convention was that there was a date often printed in a smaller font advertising when the digipack will be released.

 In this old Britney Spears' advert, it advertises that the album will be released on November the 6th 2001.

The Artic Monkeys' digipack is Out Now
 
I then decided to include a date on my advert for when my digipack will be released. I chose the date the 17th April. I put this in a smaller size font as I wanted my artist's name and song title to be the first thing that the audience read as this is the most important. However, by placing this underneath, it should be the next part they read. By keeping the date simple, I hope they will remember it easier, and on the 17th of April buy the digipack.
 
 


Most magazine adverts also include a star rating from critics such as other magazines or newspapers. I chose to include a four star rating from the well known and respected newspaper The Daily Mail. By including this, it gives the digipack a good review, influencing people to buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment