Tuesday, 12 February 2013

Music Video - Stage Three

After researching other music videos, I realised that my opening wasnt powerful enough. I recieved a lot of inspiration from an existing media video that was made by a student in the 2011/201 school year.



This video has a strong opening that instantly grabs your attention. However, this works so well because the beginning of the song is very punchy.

The beginning of Gypsy Woman isn't as powerful, so don't think I could recreate this type of opening, however it did influence me to change my video techniques. I had orginally been inserting clips, and fading them in and out after one another. By I wanted to add some twists, cut, copy and overall mix around the footage.

The beginning of my video was orginally my performer dancing on the stairs, with the lyrics 'A 90's Production'  'Crystal Watts in'  'Gypsy Woman' appearing one after the other over the top of my footage. However, after watching this video, to me this seemed too much like a home video rather than an A-Level coursework piece. I copied the first 00.00.00.01 seconds of the footage of my performer beginning to walk down the stairs and pasted it twice to create a staggered jumpy effect. After this I had a completely different effect on her dancing on the stairs, then returned back to the previous footage and we see her continue to walk down the stairs.

Later on in my video, I also copied and pasted a few other 00.00.00.001 seconds of footage, so other videos were more jumpy and edgy.

2 comments:

  1. Feedback from class viewing - peer review: Overall a stylish production, with careful styling and choice of location, including crowd shots. A confident performer, well-directed, in a range of locations, shot in a variety of sequences. Colour, lighting and tone used for a professional effect with shot saturation providing a retro effect. Suggestions for improvement - the song does have a reference to homelessness and 'singing for money' - is this a narrative element you could include, giving your performer more of a story, or offering a reveal at the end? The shots in public places worked well and some reaction shots may have been effective. Consider varying pace and speed through editing choices, transitions and effects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please now upload screen grabs/print screen from earlier/current edits, raw footage, clips from early edits, and your first rough cut as shown for peer review. You need the visual material to reflect the progress being made, along with your commentary and reflection on changes made, with the new versions also uploaded.

    ReplyDelete