Thursday, 3 January 2013

First Day of Filming

Sunday the 16th was my first day of filming. I took with me the camera and fish eye lens, plus the tripod for any shots I needed to take with a steady hand.

Before we travelled up London, I arranged to meet my performer, Vicky, at hers so I could style her using inspiration from my research about what fashion was like in the 90's. Together we chose baggy trousers, a crop top, checked shirts and big denim jacket. We decided on dark makeup and a high ponytail with a scrunchie. I was very pleased with how she looked, and I am glad that I had done the research before hand as I knew exactly what could be considered 90's.



We got the train from South Ruislip Station so we could travel up to Marble Arch station on the Central Line. However, we found that the tunnel in the station and the steps up to the platform were perfect for filming. They had the urban edge and we decided to take some photos ready for my digipack and magazine advertisement. I filmed some dance sequences on the stairs and Vicky mimed the first part of the song on the chairs on the platform. We decided the best way to do this is for Vicky to hold the phone that has the song playing and she mimes along. This worked well until we were in more busy areas.

We also decided to film on the train, however this proved to be more difficult as the train was moving. We tried to use the tripod, but I was trying to achieve a low angle shot, and the tripod didn't angle high enough. Also some shots are in the daylight, where as others are darker when we were underground, though hopefully this shouldn't matter if I don't put these two shots together.

Up London I managed to film some shots of Vicky dancing between people in the streets. We first thought that this might now work as people would walk in front of the camera or try and be filmed, however the opposite happened. Instead, when people saw the camera, they would separate, leaving Vicky on her  own in the street. I also followed my plans and did film on Vicky doing the Spice Girls Routine on New Look Stairs. I'm still not sure how these turned out, and will know better when I put it to music, however I am pleased I got to do this, and didn't have any problems that I thought I would have.

Through out the day I took many pictures and short videos of Vicky dancing to fill up space in my video as there is a lot of instrumental moments in my chosen song. I believe that the best shots happened when she was unaware when I was filming as it was very natural.

I didn't realise how difficult it would be, as a problem that did occur was I ran out of ideas and it was hard to achieve some of the shots that I had imagined. However, this could be helpful and this now means that I know what it is like to film, and I can now think more about what I need and what is achievable. Although first I need to start making my video with the shots I have already taken, so see what needs to be improved and this will definitely give me more ideas of what is needed. The biggest problem for me is that I couldn't imagine what it would look like, so it was more of trial and error and hoping for the best.

1 comment:

  1. Detailed and thoughtful reflection. Is there anything you could have done before filming which would have helped? Storyboard to help visualisation? What would you do differently next time?

    ReplyDelete